SAP Support Teacher (Part-time)
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shorelines and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitate multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Division Function/Position summary:
The School-Age Programs Support Teacher will support the programs for children after school as well as during the summer holidays and other school breaks. The successful candidate will be a strong communicator who enjoys working with school-age children. Over the next two to three years, the number of children in these programs will steadily increase as will the number of different programs offered. The School-Age Programs Support Teacher will assist other School Age Programs teachers in providing the best service for children.
- Welcome and a roll call of children on OIST buses, to and from local schools, as a bus monitor
- Maintain an effective, well-organized, and safe physical setting for the school-age programs with an emphasis on collaboration in games/activities and commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Support school-age children with homework (mainly in Japanese, possibly some English) in small and large groups
- Coordinate with other teachers and the Director of the program to help maintain clubs and activities
- Translation of documents and emails from English to Japanese
- Administrative support for teachers using Excel and other systems (ex. monitoring and creating attendance sheets, updating enrollment status, contacting local schools to get updated schedule information and update transportation service schedules, etc.)
- Adhere to organizational policies and procedures
- Support SAP staff by covering personal leave days/sick days as necessary
- Foster open and supportive relationships between parents and children to ensure student well-being and parent engagement.
- Business level Japanese and English (writing, reading, and speaking) with excellent communication skills
- 3-5 years’ experience working with children
- 2 years administrative experience, ideally in both Japanese and English
- Effective computer skills including experience with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); ability to track data and produce reports
- Working experience at a cram school (Juku) or afterschool program (Gakudo), peferred
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university, preferred
Term & Working Hours
Term: Part-time, fixed-term appointment for 6 months. Contract initially with a 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Part-time, 5 days per week (Mon through Fri)
5 hours per day (13:30-18:30)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing, and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Letter of intent in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.