Research Unit Technician in Neural Circuit Unit (Yoshida Unit)
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Yoshida unit at OIST, led by Yutaka Yoshida, PhD, is currently seeking a Postdoctoral Scholar with laboratory experience in either molecular biology or neuroscience. The Yoshida unit is interested in formation, function, and regeneration of motor circuits controlling locomotor and skilled movements. We especially study descending motor circuits including corticospinal circuits using various techniques such as molecular biology, mouse genetics, trans-synaptic viruses, optogenetic and chemogenetic tools, and spinal cord injury.
Experiments using molecular biology
Applicants should have bachelor’s degree.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed-term appointment for 1 year contract (renewable) initially with 3-month probationary period.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
1. Cover letter
2. Curriculum vitae
3. Names and contact information of 3 to 5 referees,
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.