Research Unit Technician/ Evolutionary Neurobiology Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
We are seeking a skilled research technician with biochemistry/molecular biology experience to assist the research projects at Evolutionary Neurobiology unit.
Research Unit Technician
Evolutionary Neurobiology Unit (Watanabe Unit)
- Biochemical experiments (e.g. protein sample preparation / western blotting)
- Additional responsibilities may periodically include culture of aquatic animals and mammalian cell lines
- Order consumables
- Assistance in managing laboratory chemical storage and small laboratory equipment
- Troubleshoot procedures and assist in implementing modifications
- Applicants should have bachelor’s or master’s degree in the field of biology.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- A willingness to learn new techniques and procedures.
- Communication skills in English and Japanese
- Experience in Biochemical experiments
- Experience in molecular biology methods (e.g. PCR and western blot)
- Experience in mass spectrometry
- Ability to balance multiple requests and assignments.
- Capability of working within a project team to achieve results.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year with possibility of renewal.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Please submit all required application materials by email to:
Chihiro.arasaki[at]oist.jp (Ms. Arasaki)
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.