Research Unit Technician in Evolutionary Neurobiology Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
We are seeking a research technician with analytical chemistry experience to assist the research project at Evolutionary Neurobiology unit.
OIST Evolutionary Neurobiology Unit (Prof. Hiroshi WATANABE)
Research Unit Technician
- Assistance in data analysis of mass spectrometry and related analytical chemistry
- Management of samples and analytical data
- Assistance in managing laboratory chemical storage and small laboratory equipment
- Troubleshoot procedures and assist in implementing modification
- Applicants should have bachelor’s or master’s degree in the field of chemistry, computer science or related field
- Applicants should have hands-on skill on Python or C# programming language
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- A willingness to learn new techniques and procedures
- Communication skills in English and Japanese
- Experience in analytical chemistry experiments
- Ability to balance multiple requests and assignments
- Capability of working within a project team to achieve results
Term & Working Hours
Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 year contract (renewable) initially with 3 month probationary period.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover letter in English
- Curriculum vitae in English
*Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement
Application Due Date
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).