Research Unit Administrator (RUA)
The OIST graduate education and research program is cross-disciplinary and aims to be at the leading edge of research in science and technology, including the Life Sciences, the Physical Sciences, and Mathematics. OIST units, currently 80 units and growing, conducts interdisciplinary research in eight fields: Physics, Chemistry, Neuroscience, Marine Science, Environmental and Ecological Sciences, Mathematical and Computational Sciences, Engineering and Applied Science, and Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology. The Research Unit Administrators (RUAs) are involved in such world-class research by performing a full range of administrative duties so they can achieve their objectives.
Provide day-to-day administrative support for faculty and researchers, and including but not limited to:
- Calendar management, travel arrangements, budget management, procurement of research goods and services, expense settlement, etc.
- Event management, including administrative duties and other pre, on-site, and post-event liaison with internal and external parties
- Operational support for Visiting Scholar Programs
- Daily bilingual (Japanese-English) administrative support
- Hiring arrangements, including corresponding with applicants, publishing job advertisement, etc.
- Management of annual report, scientific productivity data, and website of research unit
- Other administrative duties including operational support for Faculty Affairs Office
- Proven ability and communication skills to respond flexibly to the demands of diverse requesters from around the world
- Effective organizational and prioritization skills, with demonstrated high level of accuracy and attention to details
- Ability to speak and write in English and Japanese at a business level
- High degree of personal initiative, be a self-starter
- Computer skills in software (MS Office: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
- At least three years of secretarial experience
- Working experience in an international research institution/university
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Access to Child Development Center
- Access to Schooling Options
- Language Education
- Recource Center (Daily Life Support in Okinawa)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Applicants whose native language is Japanese are required to submit both documents in English and Japanese.
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.