Research Technician in Dr. Kroll laboratory (Science Technology Group)
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
We are seeking an entry-level/moderately experienced Research Technician to be an integral member of an OIST Proof-of-Concept project led by Dr. Eugene Kroll to develop a platform technology for the enhanced production of value-added natural compounds (https://groups.oist.jp/stg/eugene-kroll). The research will include microbial strain engineering and optimization, bench-scale fermentation, purification and downstream processing of value-added compounds, and data analysis.
- Conduct experiments to engineer biological systems and improve fermentation and down-stream processing metrics at lab scale
- Operate bench scale fermenters, make fermentation media, operate filtration and cell lysis equipment and all essential lab equipment and devices to support biotech research
- Conduct sample preparations and support analytical research activities
- Maintain the research space, record data, perform initial analysis
- Prepare media, clean and sterilize equipment Report to the Lab manager
- B.S.in Biology, Chemistry, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, or a related field
- 0-3years of lab experience
- Oral communication skills in English
- Motivated, excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills, and ability to multitask
- Ability to effectively organize work activities and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines
- Hands-on approach, using analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Enjoy working in a team
Term & Working Hours
Full-time, fixed term appointment until January 31, 2023, with 3 month probationary period (inclusive).
Working hours: Discretionary working hours
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Please submit all required application materials by email to:
(Please replace # with @ before using this email address)
- At least one reference contact
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (https://www.oist.jp).