Research Technician Position in Physics and Biology Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Physics and Biology Unit is looking to hire a Research Technician in Computer Science, Computational Science, or Machine Learning to work with unit researchers studying data derived from a variety of sources. Technician will also support unit computational facilities and advise, assist, and consult with personnel on matters related to hardware, software, and databases.
The individual should be a highly motivated, independent, and resourceful self-starter able to work well and coordinate with others, consulting with other unit personnel and OIST scientific resource, HPC, and IT sections as necessary to advance unit projects.
Primary tasks include:
1) Design, programming and execution of computations in coordination and consultation with unit personnel.
2) Consistent, thorough, and clear documentation of code and calculations in accord with coding best practices.
3) Must attend group meetings.
Secondary tasks include:
4) Coordination of unit group meetings, including local and remote presentation facilities.
Opportunities for training and networking through visits to other institutions in Japan and elsewhere may be available to personnel who consistently demonstrate capable, reliable, and diligent execution of their duties and responsibilities.
1. Bachelor’s Degree, MS or PhD in mathematical, computational, or physical sciences.
2. Background such as coursework in computer engineering, machine learning, multi-variate modeling, numerical solution of ODEs, systems dynamics.
3. Sel -starter.
4. Strong organizational skills and ability to reliably maintain a regular schedule. Ability to work well and coordinate with others.
5. Fluency in a variety of programming languages, such as C and Python.
6. Familiarity with software best practices, e.g. github repository maintenance.
7. Fluency in English and basic proficiency in Japanese, with willingness to improve skills if necessary.
8. Experience with cluster computing, GPUs, parallel computing.
9. Experience with large (e.g. petabyte) data sets
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for one year. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation: In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing, and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Please submit all required application materials by email to:
(Please replace # with @ before using this email address)
- Curriculum vitae in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.