Research and Academic Contract Administrator
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Research and Academic Contract Administrator will serve the research and academic contract needs within the university. S/he will be responsible for the research and academic contract procedures, including drafting of different types of agreements, handling the internal approval process and monitoring the status of each agreement and etc.
- Draft (select the appropriate base template or use counterparty’s template, modify, negotiate and amend) different types of research and academic contracts (e.g., Material Transfer Agreements, Joint Research Agreements, Non-Disclosure Agreements, Visiting Researcher and Student Agreements, Sabbatical Leave Agreement, Employment Agreement for research unit employees and etc.)
- Handle and monitor the internal approval process for research and academic contracts.
- Facilitate discussions and decision making among the internal stakeholders, including the Principal Investigators, researchers, the Office of General Counsel, the Provost, Deans, the President’s Office and other executives, in regards to research and academic contracts.
- Monitor the status of each agreement and take necessary procedures to terminate, renew or amend the agreement by deadline
- Communicate effectively with PI and researchers to ensure that they have a clear understanding of their responsibilities when conducting a collaborative research: write detailed research plan and clearly specify the roles and responsibilities of each members participating in collaboration for the agreement, create and submit financial reports as required and etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Assistant Provost for Administration.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in drafting contractual documents both in English and Japanese
- Knowledge of legal terminology and technical writing
- Hands-on experience in intellectual property rights and related laws; in particular, in the areas of patents, utility models, design rights and copyrights
- Ability to communicate effectively with PI and researchers both in English and Japanese, spoken and written
- Ability to exercise initiative and work independently under minimum supervision
- Ability to negotiate effectively with stakeholders within/outside of the university
- Strong interpersonal skills to build and maintain a constructive relationship with PIs and researchers
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 3.0 million ~ 7.2 million yen (Job class: Administrative Staff A3)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
- Curriculum vita in both English and Japanese
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Application Due Date
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).