Research Unit Administrator
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best brains in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
This position will perform administrative duties to support Research Unit(s). The tasks include:
- Maintain Faculty’s schedule by arranging meetings and appointments.
- Make travel arrangements and settlements for faculty, unit members, and invited guests.
- Manage purchase orders and payments for research equipment, goods, reagents, and consumables.
- Monitor research budgets and expenditures.
- Support faculty in hiring members of the Research Unit.
- Provide administrative support to invite guests, interns, and external researchers and professors.
- Take meeting minutes in English and translate documents as needed.
- Prepare annual reports, collect scientific productivity data, and update website for the Research Unit.
- Assist in arranging academic events such as conferences, workshops, and seminars.
- Perform other administrative duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s degree
2. Minimum two years clerical or administrative experience
3. Native level in Japanese and advanced business level in English (TOEIC 850 or higher)
4. Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate professionally
5. Proactive attitude for learning about and enhancing the role
6. Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and to be able to follow protocols
7. Computer skills and proficiency in software (MS Office: PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and Outlook)
8. Excellent time management skills
Working experience in both Japanese and international settings.
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 2.4 million yen ~ 6.6 million yen (Job class: Research Unit Administrator I-III, A1-3)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Curriculum vita in English and Japanese
- Cover letter in English and Japanese
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).