The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST – www.oist.jp) will become a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best brains in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
Relocation staff supports these scientists’ and administrative staff’s relocation and helps their adjustment to a life in Okinawa.
Relocation Team is responsible for ensuring smooth relocation of newly hired OIST employees from their home (both domestic and international) to Okinawa. This work involves interacting with a lot of people.
Specifically, the Relocation Staff provides administrative support for relocation operations:
- Provide visa related support for employees including preparation/submission of Certificate of Eligibility applications and relevant documents.
- Arrange flights, temporary accommodations, processing travel expenses
- Relocation support for newly hired employees, including field support (e.g. arrange moving, residence registration, open bank account, house hunting, housing contract, school registration for a child, etc.)
- Work closely with colleagues from other divisions that provide similar services to relevant people and coordinate work schedules and services by exchanging information and sharing tasks as appropriate.
- Manage employees’ visa status, assist visa extension/change
- Support relocation staff (conduct other basic administrative work) as necessary
- Experience handling confidential and private material with utmost care
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Hold a valid driver’s license in Japan
- Excellent communication skills both in Japanese and English (TOEIC 800 or higher).
- Pro-active and flexible to accommodate changes
- Basic computer skills including experience with MS Office (Word/Excel/PowerPoint).
- A minimum education requirement: Associate degree or equivalent to the completion of two-year college education
- Desire to learn wider Human Resource related knowledge/ skillset is a plus
- Previous experience working in an international setting, HR operations and/or supporting incoming foreigner is an advantage.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- "Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. The personal information you provide will only be used to recruitment selection.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.