The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 60 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
OIST's Human Resources Division assists staff in a wide range of situations, from entry to exit. The Human Resources Division consists of five sections: (1) Recruitment, (2) Relocation support, (3) Training, (4) Labor Relations, and (5) HR Management.
To become an OIST Human Resources professional, you will work in one of the five sections of the Human Resources Division, gaining experience through job rotations. You will be assigned to the HR management section section first and after gaining experience, will follow a career path to become a human resources specialist through job rotation among these five sections.
New graduates and second new graduates are also well supported by our great training program. We are looking for highly motivated individuals who want to build a career as an HR person in an international environment.
- Point of contact for various inquiries from staff at OIST
- Support for social insurance administration
- Support for payroll calculation
- Support for staff attendance management
- Support for system administration
- Support for employment contracts (procedures for renewal of employment contracts and retirement of employees)
- On-campus public relations for document submission deadlines and notices
- Other project work as assigned by the manager
(You can only experience at OIST)
- You will be able to experience general HR operation flows; social insurance enrollment, attendance management, and payroll calculation.
- Due to the large number of foreign nationalities staff in OIST, you will be ablet to have opportunities to engage in tax-related work that Japanese companies rarely handle.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Experience using Microsoft Office (especially Outlook, Excel, SharePoint)
- Business level English proficiency (TOEIC 800, equivalent to EIKEN level 2)
- Willingness to learn and apply self-initiated, learning and business practicality, high motivation to tackle unprecedented and new challenges.
- Willingness to take initiative in order to carry out tasks.
- Accuracy and attention to detail, including detailed data entry and preparation
- Interpersonal skills with the ability to tolerate diverse ideas and communicate effectively
- Native level of Japanese language proficiency (JLPT N1 or equivalent for non-Japanese)
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Access to Child Development Center
- Access to Schooling Options
- Language Education
- Recource Center (Daily Life Support in Okinawa)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Applicants whose native language is Japanese are required to submit both documents in English and Japanese.
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.