Public Communication Assistant Director (Based Tokyo)
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is seeking an External Relations Specialist. This role will be based in Tokyo and will report to the Vice President, Communication and Public Relations (VP CPR) at the main OIST campus. The job holder will work with senior leaders, helping to coordinate a focused program of government and stakeholder relations activity. They will also undertake stakeholder engagement and will deliver regular analysis in areas which span policy and government, fundraising and advancement, research and industry collaboration, and talent development. The successful candidate will play a significant role in assisting OIST in its effort to influence the political, legislative and regulatory environment, helping ensure the best outcome for the Institute in seeking to fulfil its Strategic Plan 2020-2030. The job holder will make a valuable contribution to stakeholder management and policy influencing at national level, providing insight and support to the President, Executive Vice President, Provost, Chief Operating Officer, Vice Presidents and colleagues who lead in managing OIST’s reputation, risk and profile.
● Work with the Vice President, Communication and Public Relations, and with other senior colleagues as required, to organize and assist in the implementation of OIST external relations activities in Tokyo.
● Build and maintain strong relationships with relevant government, academic and business stakeholders.
● Identify key policy and regulatory opportunities, trends, risks and issues, and provide high-quality briefing materials to leadership and faculty. Advise VP CPR on OIST positioning and highlight areas where intervention may be required, helping to brief OIST representatives in advance of high-level meetings and events, ensuring they are fully prepared and aware of the political context.
● Assist in the development of Tokyo-based partnerships and programs which advance the OIST mission.
● Collaborate with marketing communications, development and external relations professionals across OIST divisions in support of programs, campaigns, and initiatives.
● Represent OIST at Tokyo-based conferences and policy meetings as required.
● Fluency in Japanese and excellent spoken and written English.
● 5 years of public affairs, government affairs and/or industry experience, preferably in a political, education, or science and technology environment.
● Evidence of achievement in building strong and influential networks with relevant government, business, philanthropic and scientific organizations. Experience of providing advice and briefing in relation to sensitive matters, working closely with senior leaders. Experience of dealing directly with high-level national and international politicians and policy makers
● Proven ability quickly to develop a deep understanding of complex regulatory and funding landscapes.
● Resourceful and flexible, and equipped to work successfully and independently within a highly devolved, multicultural organization.
● Methodical and detail-oriented.
● Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year/2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Working hours: 9:00-17:30
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Curriculum vitae in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 3-5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. The personal information you provide will only be used to recruitment selection.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.