Project Manager for Strategic Projects
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Division Function/Position summary:
To support the Senior Adviser for Strategic Projects in developing and managing new and existing projects from initiation through to implementation, ensuring that projects advance the strategic objectives of the University.
Major duties: The Project Manager will be a member of the Strategy Office team focused on supporting the implementation of strategic projects at the University and will undertake a pro-active role in helping to manage projects and implement project goals. The role represents an opportunity for an ambitious and motivated individual with a proven track record in project delivery to contribute to the realization of major strategic initiatives at the University.
- Coordinating internal and external resources for the execution of projects
- Assisting in the definition of project scope and objectives, involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical feasibility
- Working across various functional areas on various types of projects
- Developing detailed project plans to monitor and track progress, manage changes to the project scope and schedule, and analyze successful completion of short and long-term goals
- Creating and maintaining project documentation and reporting
- Creating and maintaining risk registers
- Producing agendas, documentation, briefing papers, reports and presentations
- Minute taking for various meetings
- Specific projects as requested by the Senior Adviser
- Bi-lingual to business level in Japanese and English in both written and oral communication
- Highly proficient at using Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- At least 5 years’ work experience in project management
- Excellent time management and organizational skills having practical experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously throughout the full life cycle
- Excellent attention to detail with proven ability to balance competing priorities under the pressure of deadlines and budget in a busy workload
- Working collaboratively with other staff to ensure successful project execution
- Ability to focus and deliver under pressure
- Excellent communication and co-ordination skills
- Ability to understand different perspectives and bring new thinking to a situation – influencer, strong listening skills and problem-solving approach
- Proactive approach with ability to work independently and flexibly, but also as part of a team
- Ability to work with personnel at all levels, within and outside the organization
- Ability to exercise good judgement, tact and diplomacy and maintain confidentiality
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year/2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Letter of intent in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer >Reference information is required for the manager and higher positions
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.