The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 60 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The OIST Procurement Section plays an important role in procuring goods and services such as research equipment, materials, office supplies, etc., by entering into contracts with outside businesses in response to requests from researchers and other parties within the university. Because OIST conducts some of the most advanced research in the world, it sometimes purchases equipment that has not yet been introduced in Japan or deals directly with overseas suppliers. In order to be accountable to taxpayers as a university whose operating funds are mostly supported by public funds, we not only carry out our duties in accordance with laws, regulations, and rules, but also make daily efforts to ensure efficient and timely procurement, as befits a world-class university
Experience you will gain in this position:
Since the Procurement Section negotiates contracts with counterparties, including overseas companies, you will be expected to acquire not only knowledge of law, trade, and finance, but also language skills, external negotiation skills, and other multifaceted skills. In addition, the Procurement Section is actively promoting DX (Digital Transformation) in its operations, including the introduction of RPA for routine tasks, so you will be exposed to the latest IT technologies.
Furthermore, as we celebrate our 10th anniversary, the time has come for us to formulate a procurement strategy for the next generation. We are looking for someone with strong numerical analysis skills, a keen antenna for global trends, and good presentation skills to analyze past procurement performance and formulate new strategies in line with OIST's future growth, while taking into account trends in public procurement. In the future, we expect you to play a leadership role in the Finance Division.
1. A series of administrative procedures for general competitive bidding, public bidding, and non-competitive contracts, including preparation of relevant documents such as bidding announcements, implementation of bidding, and contract negotiations with the counterparty type. Includes handling of contracts in English. Excludes projects related to construction work.
2. Responding to accounting inspections and various audits, and preparing reports related to procurement.
3. Maintenance and revision of procurement-related rules and regulations
4. Management and operation of electronic bidding system
5. Management of vendor registration in the accounting system and credit checks
6. Management and operation of the university's insurance program (fire insurance, liability insurance, automobile insurance, etc.)
7. Other related duties
(Currently, the above duties are divided between two teams within the Procurement Section, and the successful candidate for this position will be assigned to one of these teams. In the future, the successful candidate will move to a budget or accounting related position within the Finance Division to become an OIST finance professional).
1. New graduates or equivalent (second new graduates are also acceptable) *regardless of background
2. Desire to work in an international work environment
3. Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office) intermediate level
4. Good interpersonal and communication skills
5. business level English proficiency (TOEIC 700 or equivalent) (frequency of English: use for e-mail communication with relevant departments (vendors) inside and outside of OIST)
1. Have completed or will complete studies in the fields of law, commerce, accounting, or finance
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Access to Child Development Center
- Access to Schooling Options
- Language Educateion
- Recource Center (Daily Life Support in Okinawa)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
*References (3 names and contact information) may be requested prior to the final interview.
*Please download the format from the link abovea to fill out and send them from the file uploading system.
*We may ask you to submit a certificate of graduation/prospective graduation as well as certificates of qualification during the selection process.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.