Postdoctoral Scholar/Topology and Geometry of Manifolds Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Topology and Geometry of Manifolds Unit
- The candidate must have a clear research plan and be able to achieve research objectives.
- Must be willing to contribute to Topology and Geometry of Manifolds group meetings, and to mentoring student research. The students are either PhD students, or gifted undergraduate students interning at OIST.
- The candidate is expected to be in residence for the time of appointment. Conference travel is encouraged, and travel support is provided.
- We are seeking highly motivated researchers. The positions do not carry teaching duties.
2. Applicants are required to have completed Ph.D. in Mathematics by the time of appointment. PhD should be awarded not earlier than August 2012 (childbirth or illness may warrant an exception).
- Excellent oral and written English. No Japanese is required, though Japanese language courses are offered to employees and their families. The Topology and Geometry of Manifolds Unit is supported by a bi-lingual (English/Japanese) research unit administrator.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 6 to 12 months taken between August 2018 and August 2019, with a flexible starting date.
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Please apply by sending your application materials to
Inquiries may be directed to Dr. Anastasiia Tsvietkova and/or to the same email address.
(Please replace (at) with @ before using this email address)
- CV including the list of publications
- Brief Research Description.
- Finalists might be asked to submit 3 reference letters.
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.