Postdoctoral Scholar / Complex Fluids and Flows Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best researchers in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
The Complex Fluids and Flows Unit (CFF) at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is seeking to recruit a Postdoctoral Scholar. The CFF Unit carries research in fluid dynamics making use of direct numerical simulations. Highly motivated candidates are welcomed to join our team in order to study laminar and turbulent multiphase flows with non-Newtonian fluids. Postdocs are expected to engage in creative, curiosity-driven research, and are encouraged to develop their own independent interests, as well as collaborating with existing group members.
- Perform innovative research in the context given above (see position summary).
- Publish the results in high-quality journals.
- Present the results at national and international conferences.
- PhD (awarded or imminent) in a relevant discipline with major in Fluid Mechanics, e.g. mechanical, aeronautical, chemical engineering or physics.
- Experience in numerical simulations of multiphase flows.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of Fortran.
- Experience in High-Performance Computing.
Term & Working Hours
The position is initially for one year and can be extended to 2 more years based on performance and mutual agreement. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive).
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Please submit all required application materials by email to:
(Please replace # with @ before using this email address)
- Curriculum vita with publication list in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 2 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.