Postdoctoral Scholar positions / Gravity, Quantum Geometry and Field Theory Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Postdoctoral Scholar positions in Gravity, Quantum Geometry and Field Theory Unit
Applications are invited for one or two 2+1-year postdoc position(s) in the Gravity, Quantum Geometry and Field Theory group at Okinawa Institute of Science and Technogy (OIST) Graduate University, Japan, starting in the Fall of 2019 or earlier (earlier is encouraged). The successful applicant(s) will work in the group lead by Prof. Reiko Toriumi. At OIST, there are related research groups lead by Prof. Shinobu Hikami, Prof. Yasha Neiman and Prof. Anastasiia Tsvietkova, with each group supporting about 4 postdocs.
The Gravity, Quantum Geometry and Field Theory group itself expects frequent research visitors in addition to hosting workshops, e.g., an example workshop can be found here: https://groups.oist.jp/cws/event/oist-mini-symposium-holographic-tensors.
OIST is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer. Further details can be found at www.oist.jp.
- The candidate must have a clear research plan and be able to achieve research objectives.
- The candidate must be willing to contribute to Gravity, Quantum Geometry and Field Theory group meetings and seminars, and to mentor student research.
- The candidate is expected to be in residence for the time of appointment. Conference travel is encouraged and the travel support is provided.
- Applicants are required to have completed Ph.D. in Physics or Mathematics by the time of appointment and have a background in quantum gravity, quantum field theory, random geometry or related areas.
- We are looking for motivated, active and responsible researchers.
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written English.
Term & Working Hours
For postdoctoral scholars: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years, starting Fall 2019 or earlier (earlier is encouraged).
There may be an opportunity to renew it for one more year.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
The salary is internationally competitive and complemented by allowances as below
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Please apply by sending your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit only the reference letters through Academic Jobs Online .
Inquiries may be directed to Dr. Reiko Toriumi at email@example.com.
- Cover letter
- Research statement (includes future plan)
- CV including publication list
- Three Reference letters to be submitted through Academic Jobs Online.
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.