Postdoctoral Scholar Position in Cognitive Neurorobotics Research Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best researchers in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
We are looking for postdoctoral scholars who are interested in the following research topics:
- Studies of various types of robot learning using recurrent neural network (RNN) models based on predictive coding framework. This could include more theoretical investigation on deterministic as well as stochastic dynamic modeling for predictive coding.
- Studies on developmental robotics with focusing on the problem of generalization through stages of development. We hope that developmental processes during life-time learning spanning for months to years can be observed. This study may use reinforcement learning as well as predictive coding framework. We are also interested in conducting synthetic neurorobotics modeling studies on developmental disorders including schizophrenia and ASD.
- Studies on social cognitive robotics with focusing on the problem of “theory of mind” under experiment setup in human-robot interactions or robot to robot interaction. This study may also incorporate with research outputs from (1) and (2).
- Studies on development of general intelligence by modeling the higher-order cognitive brain mechanism of executive control and working memory usage.
- Studies on subjective experience including consciousness and free will of robots and human by conducting "human in robot-loop" experiments.
Cognitive Neurorobotics Research Unit
- Ph.D. or equivalent.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Highly motivated and with strong social skills
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulation.
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Curriculum vita including a list of publications
- Research statement
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
Please submit all required application materials by email to:
(Please replace # with @ before using this email address)
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).