Postdoctoral Scholar Position in Cell Proliferation and Gene Editing Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Cell Proliferation and Gene Editing Unit aims to understand molecular mechanisms of cell division and mitotic quality control in normal and cancer cells to determine tumor-suppressive mechanisms and cancer-specific vulnerabilities that can be exploited in chemotherapeutic approaches (https://groups.oist.jp/cellpro).
We are seeking to recruit highly motivated and talented Postdoctoral Researchers to lead a research project focusing on how mitotic surveillance (mitotic stopwatch) restricts cell proliferation to maintain genome stability in a cancer-specific context.
The successful applicants will use various cell culture systems and cutting-edge technologies such as high-throughput live-cell imaging, genome-wide genetic screens, gene editing and biochemical reconstitution to drive novel discoveries.
We offer a supportive and collaborative working environment that promotes personal and professional development.
- Meitinger, Kong, Ohta et al. 2021 JCB
- Meitinger et al. 2020 Nature
- Watanabe, Meitinger et al. 2020 JCB
- Meitinger et al. 2016 JCB
- Drive and manage the research project
- Publish in high-quality journals
- Learn and develop novel technologies
- Present research data at internal laboratory meetings and externally at conferences
- Document experiments
- Supervision of junior staff and students
- Completed PhD in molecular and cellular biology or a related discipline
- Strong interest in cell and cancer biology
- Team spirit and collaborative personality with passion for science
- Experience in publishing in high-quality journals
- Communication in English
- Experience with human cell culture and gene editing
- Experience in automated and quantitative image analysis
Term & Working Hours
Full-time, the position is initially for one year and can be extended to 2 more years based on performance and mutual agreement.
Working hours: Discretionary working hours
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae including publication list
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (https://www.oist.jp).