Researcher Position available/Science and Technology Group “Sulfone substituted complex cyclopropanes and linear hydrocarbons via catalysis”
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Science and Technology Group
The Researcher position is available for one year under the “Sulfone substituted complex cyclopropanes and linear hydrocarbons via catalysis” project under the direction of Dr. Eugene Khaskin) at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST).
The major focus will be on the economic scale up of the earlier disclosed cyclopropanation reactions (https://chemrxiv.org/articles/Three-Component_1_1_1_Cyclopropanation_with_Ruthenium_II_/6025772) as well as employing the reaction towards new sulfone, alcohol, and other substrates compatible in the reaction. Basic responsibilities involve screening of catalysis conditions; synthesis, separation, and characterization of cyclopropane and linear sulfone substrates; and testing new catalysts and reaction conditions. Some of the work will be carried out in cooperation with the Coordination Chemistry and Catalysis unit, about which more details can be found at the unit webpage: https://groups.oist.jp/cccu
- Master or Ph.D. in Chemistry
- Experience in one or several of the following fields: organic chemistry methods development, organic chemistry total synthesis, organic chemistry heterocycle synthesis, organometallic chemistry catalysis.
- Extensive experience in reaction screening, as well as basic organic chemistry techniques such as separating substrates via column chromatography (and/or HPLC), TLC, etc...
- Familiarity with NMR, GC (FID or MS), and HPLC instruments.
- Have a strong publication record in peer-reviewed journals
- Good communication skills in English
- Ability to work independently as well as a part of a team
Term & Working Hours
Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year with no possibility of extension.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
Dr. Eugene Khaskin
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in English
- Curriculum vitae in English
- Contact information of two referees
Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.