Postdoctoral Scholar for Micro/Bio/Nanofluidics Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Postdoctoral Scholar position in Micro/Bio/ Nanofluidics Unit
A postdoctoral research position is available in the Micro/Bio/Nanofluidics Unit at OIST in Okinawa, Japan (https://groups.oist.jp/mbnu). The successful candidate will join a very active interdisciplinary group in microfluidics and rheology, led by Dr. Amy Shen and Dr. Simon Haward, with emphasis on research of complex fluids in microfluidics (experimental or numerical, or a combination of both).
- Candidates should have a PhD in chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, engineering physics, or a related discipline.
- Prior experience in rheology, micro/nanofluidics, micro/nanofabrications, flow visualization, or numerical simulations/CFD is preferred.
- Candidates will work in a multidisciplinary group of engineers, physicists, chemists, and biologists. Peer-reviewed publications in high quality journals are a must.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, the position is initially for one year and can be extended to 2 more years based on performance and mutual agreement.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with OIST Employee Compensation Regulations.
OIST is committed to attracting top quality researchers from across the world and to ensuring a supportive, creative and productive atmosphere.
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Please submit the following documents to Professor Amy Shen at amy.shen[at] oist.jp
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
We will contact you by email If your skills and research experience match the job profile.
or send by post to the following address:
Professor Amy Shen
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
1. Curriculum vita including names of 3 referees
2. Cover letter
3. Summary of research experience and research plans (2-4 pages)
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.