Postdoctoral Scholar in Hybrid Quantum Device Team
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Hybrid Quantum Device Team seeks a postdoc to help develop a spin-based microwave quantum memory, which will eventually be implemented in the microwave-optical photon transducer. The team also seeks a postdoc to help demonstrate an ultra-low noise microwave amplifier using spins in gem crystals, such as ruby or diamond.
- Perform experimental quantum information science and technology research projects with spins in diamond.
- Disseminate the results via publication in journals and/or presentation in national/international conferences.
- Participate in unit meetings, seminars, and unit activities in general.
- Assist the PI with tutoring and mentoring the students.
- PhD in physics or relevant fields
- Proficiency in spoken and written English within the scientific field
- Experience with one or more of the followings: microwave engineering, cryogenic experiments, or optical experiments.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
- Cover letter in English or Japanese, stating your motivation to apply, your research interests, and your aspiration
- Curriculum vitae in English or Japanese, including a list of publication
- Names and contact information of 2 or 3 referees, one of which should be a previous/current employer
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (https://www.oist.jp).