Postdoctoral Researcher in Synapse Biology Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Postdoctoral research positions are available in the Synapse Biology Unit at OIST in Okinawa, Japan (https://groups.oist.jp/sbu). Successful candidates will join a vibrant team studying basic principles of synaptic communication in brain circuit operations underlying animal behaviors down to exploring synaptic design in simple model networks.
Perform research under the unit research theme and carry out other research related duties as required.
Candidates should have a PhD in neuroscience or a related discipline. Prior experience in in vitro or in vivo electrophysiology, cutting-edge microscopy, and/or extensive expertise in cell and molecular biology will be an advantage. Peer-reviewed publications in quality journals are a must. We seek researchers who are highly enthusiastic, collaborative and creative thinkers.
Term & Working Hours
The position is initially for one year and can be extended to 2 or more years based on performance and mutual agreement.
Working hours: Discretionary working hours
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum vitae including names of 3 referees
- Summary of research experience to date
- Reasons for applying to the post (personal strengths, motivations, research perspectives, career aspirations)
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.c
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (https://www.oist.jp).