Postdoctoral Researcher in Physical Oceanography
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best researchers in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
Marine Biophysics Unit
The successful candidate will work on ocean studies in the vicinity of the strong western Kuroshio current and hydrothermal vent fields around Okinawa. Experience in modeling and/or field observations is considered advantageous, although not mandatory.
- Ph.D. in in Physical Oceanography, Biological Oceanography or a related field and demonstrate ability in publishing results in peer-reviewed literature.
- Highly desirable qualifications include experience in field observations and ocean modeling and willingness to support student and other team members.
- English Proficiency
Writing: Advanced, Reading and Speaking: Intermediate
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulation.
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Cover letter stating research interests and experience in English
- Curriculum vitae in English
- Names and contact information of 3 references
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Akiko Guzman (Ms) Marine Biophysics Unit
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).