Postdoctoral Researcher or Staff Scientist position to Reconstruct Cerebellar Neurons
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best brains in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
A postdoctoral researcher or staff scientist positions to reconstruct cerebellar neurons is available in the Computational Neuroscience Unit of Prof. Erik De Schutter at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University, Japan.
We are looking for a postdoc with a neuroscience background to reconstruct neurons using semi-automated methods and analyze the morphologies obtained. Projects include reconstruction of single neurons based on STED microscopy and of populations of neurons using confocal imaging.
Experience in neural reconstruction is essential, additional experience in microscopy and/or electrophysiology is a plus. You will collaborate with scientists at OIST and abroad in addition to the daily interaction with computational researchers and students in the lab who are working on cerebellar modeling projects, analyzing cerebellar recordings or developing software.
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulation.
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Curriculum vita in English
- A summary of research interests and experience
- Names and contact information of 3 referees
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).