Postdoctoral Position in Theoretical Biophysics / Quantitative Biology
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Biological Complexity Unit at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST), Japan, headed by Prof. Simone Pigolotti, is looking for an outstanding candidate for a postdoctoral position. The Unit studies the stochastic dynamics of biological systems using biophysical/mathematical theory and computational methods. Research topics of interest include information processing in molecular reactions, facilitated diffusion of proteins, biodiversity of bacterial populations and stochastic thermodynamics. Please see our website https://groups.oist.jp/bcu for more information.
Conduct research in the Biological Complexity Unit and help supervising students
- Ph.D. in theoretical biophysics, statistical physics, mathematical biology or related topics
- Excellent analytical/computational skills
- Proficiency in oral and written English
- Experience in bioinformatics and in specific research themes of the Unit
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year, renewable for another two years upon mutual agreement
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
jobs.bcu [at] oist.jp
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
*Inquiries about the position can be sent to the same address.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.