Postdoctoral scholar - behavioral neuroscience
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
We are seeking a talented behavioral neuroscientist to join our HFSP-funded project on spatiotemporal neurochemical dynamics of behavioral flexibility in the striatum. The successful candidate should have experience in rodent behavior, ideally using head-fixed configurations, in vivo recording, fiber photometry or optogenetics. We seek someone able to contribute intellectually and work independently as a member of a well-funded team working at multiple levels of biological organization and aiming for the highest quality research output.
- Design and conduct behavioral experiments
- Program behavioral paradigms in virtual reality
- Analyze, interpret, and write up data for publication
- Present findings at international meetings
- Contribute to an inclusive, collaborative and interdisciplinary lab culture
- Applicants must have a PhD.
- Experience in behavioral studies of learning and neurobiology research
- Ability to design, conduct and analyze a wide variety of behavioral studies
- Being a dynamic, highly motivated researcher with enthusiasm to work in groups is essential.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skill
The candidate would ideally have a strong background in behavioral studies as reflected by publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals as appropriate to their career stage. Applicants are expected to have previous experience in mice/rat handling, stereotaxic surgery, microinjection and behavioral testing. A good knowledge of pharmacology and or/experience with imaging, optogenetics, or photometry would be highly desirable.
Term & Working Hours
Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. This contract may be renewed in accordance with OIST Regulations.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your submission documents to:
wickens[at]oist.jp or ysuzuki[at]oist.jp
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
Wickens Unit. c/o Yukako Suzuki
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
Please be sure your e-mail title is this so that we can track of receiving e-mails. [Postdoc_2019_LAST NAME_FIRST NAME]
- Curriculum vita in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of three referees, one of which should be a previous employer
- Summary of research interests
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.