Postdoc positions in Neural Coding & Brain Computing Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Neural Coding & Brain Computing Unit (headed by Tomoki Fukai) seeks a few motivated postdoctoral researchers. Research topics include but are not limited to:
1) Computing with spikes (this includes experimental data analysis);
2) Integrating single-cell (dendritic) computation into network-level computing;
3) Network mechanisms of memory acquisition, consolidation and retrieval;
4) Brain-inspired models of artificial intelligence;
5) Analysis and modeling of the role of "Idling states" in brain information processing.
We welcome applications from candidates with strong mathematical background. Candidates are desired to have due interests in biological systems, but neither prior knowledge nor experiences in neuroscience are required. Communication and writing skills in English but not in Japanese are required.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years with the possibility of renewal for up to total of 3 years.
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Curriculum vita in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.