Post-doc and Staff Scientist positions open immediately in the Physics and Biology Unit (Miller Unit)
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
A successful applicant will be highly motivated, independent, resourceful, and able to put science first and work well and coordinate with others. Those with research or work experience in machine learning, bioinformatics, theoretical physics are encouraged to apply. Much of the work will be conducted in English and Japanese, so at least basic proficiency in both languages is preferred together with a willingness to improve skills if needed. The position will offer a capable researcher the opportunity to work with scientists in diverse fields from around the world.
*Successful candidate will collaborate with unit personnel working with a well-known Cambridge USA research institute.
- The researcher will work with unit personnel on bleeding edge computational genomics projects and NLP/machine learning applications to bioinformatics and text data.
- As necessary for the position, you will learn:
- new skills (including programming machine learning and deep learning algorithms)
- new algorithms
- how to actively conduct research
- how to make presentation packages to communicate results to specialists, non-specialists, and business decision-makers.
- Ph.D. degree in computer science, machine learning, AI, mathematics/physics, bioinformatics is a requirement for both positions
- For the staff scientist position, at least five years relevant post-doctoral experience in industry or academia is required
- Ability to program in Python, Java, or C/C++.
Love of mathematics & theoretical CS and excited to learn new theory and implementation
- Fluency in Japanese and basic proficiency in English, or vice versa, with willingness to improve skills if necessary
- Friendly and collaborative
- Excellent communication skills
- Willingness to engage across disciplines
(Would be nice)
- Research or work experience in machine learning
- Theoretical physics background
- GPU/cluster experience
- Willingness to learn above
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid)
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Access to Child Development Center
- Access to Schooling Options
- Language Education
- Resource Center (Daily Life Support in Okinawa)
- Curriculum vitae in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Indicate in the cover letter whether applying for Postdoctoral Scholar or Staff Scientist.
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer. * Up to 3 reference letters may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.
Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1-2 year(s), The maximum duration of the first contract and end date shall be until September 30, 2025. This contract may be renewed.
We thank all those who apply but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.