The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Division Function/Position summary:
Work as a member of the Grants and Research Collaborations Section. In cooperation with the Budget section and Accounting section, accept external research funds, register the budget for the on-campus ERP system, and manage the budget. When accepting external research funds with a consignment contract, cooperate with the Research and Academic Contract Administrator.
- Prepare and manage documents related to the awarded research proposals
- Communicate with funding agencies, collaborator's research institutions, and subrecipients
- Register budget for the enterprise accounting system
- Disseminate and explain rules regarding usage of research funds to OIST researchers
- Submit annual reports required by funding agencies
- Respond to inquiries regarding post-award processes from OIST researchers and administrators
- Prepare and support for annual settlement in collaboration with the Division for Financial Management
- Manage budget acquisition record and advice on budget planning when preparing a research plan
- Bachelor or higher degree
- Sufficient skills to work with Microsoft365 applications, especially the ability to analyze data using Excel
- Native level Japanese and business level English
- Ability to establish smooth communication with researchers for high-quality support, and to complete assigned tasks by cooperating with parties
- Ability to finish multitasking efficiently in time, and to identify and fix the issues
- Work experience as an administrative staff at a university or research institution
- Work experience in an international environment
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Letter of intent in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
Application Due Date
*OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity educator and employer, and is working actively toward increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities(https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
*Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).