Part-time Technician in Protein Engineering and Evolution Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best researchers in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
The protein engineering and evolution unit is now seeking for a part-time lab technician. Our research is focused in bioengineering and bio-catalysis.
The protein engineering and evolution unit (Laurino Unit) https://groups.oist.jp/protein
- Routine lab work such as medium preparation, buffer preparation, etc.
- Cloning of genes in plasmid, protein expression and purification in e.coli (if you have experience also with yeast it is a plus).
- Sometimes standardize conditions for experiments e.g. kinetics assay.
1. Master degree in biochemistry or molecular biology.
2. Hands on in most of these techniques: PCR, cloning, protein purifications, enzyme kinetics, ELISA assay, electrophoresis, SDS-PAGE, FPLC.
3. Good English knowledge.
4. Basic computer skills
5. Good communication skills, precise and well-organized person.
1. Experience with side-directed mutagenesis, RNA extraction.
2. Experience with cell culture.
3. Expertise in HPLC and LC MS.
4. Experience with deep sequencing.
Term & Working Hours
Part-time, appointment for 1 year. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
9:00-17:30 (upto 3 days per week, and/or upto 24 hours per week)
Compensation & Benefits
- 1400 yen/hour
- Commuting allowance (in accordance with OIST Employee Compensation Regulation)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
paola.laurino#oist.jp (Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Curriculum vitae in English
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 2 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.