Part-time Technician for Neural Computation Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Neural Computation Unit is conducting research to understand the biological basis of flexible learning in the brain using small animals (mouse, rat). We are seeking a part-time technician who supports our animal experiments.
1. Genotyping by DNA sequencing of genetically modified mice
2. Breeding and maintenance of genetically modified mice
3. Preparation of mouse brain for histology
4. Support for animal behavior experiments
1. Bachelor degree or Master degree in science or biology
2. Experience of animal experiments with rodents
3. Fluent in either Japanese or English
4. Motivation for learning new technologies
1. Experience in immunohistochemistry using rodent brain
2. Fluent in both Japanese and English
3. Ability to work together efficiently in a team
Term & Working Hours
5 days per week (Working hours and days are negotiable)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave
- Health insurance (only for applicable employee, Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
How To Apply
Please submit all required application materials by email to:
(Please replace # with @ before using this email address)
Or send documents via post mail to:
Neural Computation Unit
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Curriculum vita in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
- Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).