A Part-time Position Available/Cell Division Dynamics Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Unit and Position Summary:
The Cell Division Dynamics Unit (PI: Tomomi Kiyomitsu) is a new research unit which launched in April 2020. Our unit aims to understand the basic mechanisms of cell division using cultured human cell lines and early embryos of Medaka fish: https://groups.oist.jp/cddu.
We seek a motivated part-time staff who will support the basis of our Medaka fish rearing and will work as a long-term member of our team.
Cleaning of Medaka fish tanks and other devices. Our unit staff will teach how to clean the fish tanks and others.
- Responsibility for one’s work
- Fluency in Japanese
- Bachelor’s degree, MS or equivalent in a scientific field
- Previous experience working with animals
- Fluency in English
Term & Working Hours
Term: Part-time, renewable every 6months (including 3-months probationary period initially)
Working hours: Mon – Fri 9:00-12:00, 2~3 hours per day (negotiable)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulation ( 1,000 yen~/hour according to the skills and abilities)
- commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your submission documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Successful applicants will be selected after an initial screening process based on the submission documents followed by an in-person or web interview.
(either English or Japanese is equally accepted. )
- Curriculum vitae with a photo. Make sure to write your available work days and hours, and contact address.
- A brief summary of your previous research experience and/or skills.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).
- Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.