Parenting Program - Research Administrator
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join a research team committed to advancing management of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in Japan. The successful applicant will be responsible for the day to day administration of a multi-site effectiveness trial of a parenting program for Japanese mothers of children with ADHD. This is a grant funded position, with funding available for up to three years based on satisfactory research progress. Salary and benefits are competitive and will be determined based on the candidate’s qualifications and experience. The research unit encourages the professional growth of individual staff.
Human Developmental Neurobiology Unit
The Research Administrator be responsible for:
- Scheduling and co-ordinating participant screening interviews; group leader training and supervision; and participant data collection
- Scheduling and preparation of materials for meetings with research sites
- Budget management across research sites including: therapist payments, purchase and monitoring of gift vouchers, payment and monitoring of research expenses.
- Arranging all research related travel and accommodation
- Preparation and shipping of research materials
- Taking and maintaining minutes of all research meetings
- Japanese to English and English to Japanese translation of research and publicity materials
- Preparation of materials for group leader training sessions
The Research Administrator will assist with:
- Assist with drafting ethics applications and joint research agreements
- Data transcription, coding and entry (as appropriate)
- Other duties related to the unit parenting research projects
- Minimum of Bachelors degree
- Native Japanese speaker with excellent writing skills
- Excellent/Advanced English (oral and written) language skills. (e.g., TOEIC above 850)
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite of programs
- Prior administrative experience.
- Prior experience in budget management
- Experience working as a member of a team
- Degree in social sciences
Term & Working Hours
Full time, the position is available for 1 year in the first instance with a 3-month probationary period. Based on satisfactory progress of the research the position is expected to be available for a further two years.
Working hours: Monday – Friday (9:00-17:30)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Or send documents via post mail to:
Professor Gail Tripp, Human Developmental Neurobiology Unit
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
7542 Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0411, Japan
- Curriculum vitae and cover letter in English and Japanese outlining relevant experience
- University transcripts
- The names and contact information for two referees
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.