IT Operation Support Staff
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Division Function/Position summary:
OIST IT Division has implemented and operates various cloud-based business systems, which is rare for Japanese universities, to support OIST's unique and world-leading university.
This position belongs to the Operation Team under the Operation and Support Section in the IT Division. The primary responsibility is operating and maintaining the systems in OIST. In this Operation Support Staff role, the incumbent performs routine tasks based on various user requests and responds appropriately to user trouble reports.
We are looking for highly motivated operational support staff with no IT experience or recent graduates ready to take on the challenge.
This position may be involved in the planning, development, and implementation of business systems in the future or may career up for analyzing and improving business operations.
From the perspective of the overall optimization of OIST's business systems, the incumbent will perform the following duties based on an understanding of the structure and relationships of each business system.
- Provide technical support for user requests via ticket management system, telephone, email, etc
- Respond to failures according to their severity and urgency (e.g., detecting failures, determining their causes, and performing the work necessary to restore the system)
- Maintain the master data of business systems
- Documentation work such as preparation and revision of system operation manuals, dissemination of information to the university website, and updating of posted articles
- Investigate and respond to inquiries from business system users
- Manage and coordinate the business system maintenance vendors
- Review the existing operational processes and implement improvement activities
- Coordinate the stakeholders, analyze, and handle various technical issues arising in the system.
- Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft365 products, especially Power Apps
- Working experience in IT or being certified or trained in information science or a related field
- Extensive knowledge and excellent understanding of ERP systems, such as human resources and financial systems
- Working experience in reforming and improving business operations through the use of systems
- ITIL qualification holder
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.