Open Position: Research Unit Technician in Formation and Regulation of Neuronal Connectivity Research Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University, Formation and Regulation of Neuronal Connectivity Research Unit (the Unit, hereafter) is calling application for the position of Research unit technician. The unit has committed to run the research project to understand underlying mechanism of motor neuron diseases and to run educational programs for pre-/post-graduate level and undergrad level students who seek career in academic research. In addition, the Unit runs Drosophila core facility.
Title of Position
Research Unit Technician in Formation and Regulation of Neuronal Connectivity Research Unit
Analyze data obtained from experiments done by unit member, perform experiments, help workshop that unit professor organizes, and support to maintain Drosophila core facility.
Key areas of responsibility
- Perform quantitative analysis on microscope image data
- Write and validate program that allow us high throughput image data process/analysis.
- Perform behavioral assay under Group leader’s supervision
- Prepare materials and reagent for lab teaching in DNC2019
- Running CEDA2020 as member of CEDA2020 secretariat
- Strain maintenance for Drosophila core
- Ensure that Drosophila core and instruments in the core are in working condition for core users.
- Research unit Professor
- Research unit Group Leader
- Specialist from Manufactures
- Unit member
- Must completed 4-yr College education in Informatic Science
- Must have knowledge and experience programming (C, D, Java, Matlab, Python, Swift)
- Have experience with IMARIS, a 3/4D image visualization and analysis software.
- Have experience in Drosophila strain stock maintenance
- Business level of Japanese language proficiency
- Advanced levels of English language proficiency (both academic and business setting)
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term, initial appointment is by August 31, 2019.
Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive).
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae in English (include name of 2 references)
- Curriculum vitae in Japanese (include name of 2 references)
- Language proficiency score/grade
If the person is not native Japanese speaker, he or she must provide score, or a copy of certificate, on the N1 level Japanese Language Proficiency test; the minimum satisfactory score is 120, if applicant received score report.
If the person is not native English speaker, he or she must provide score/grade on at least one of the English proficiency tests listed below
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.