Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Cell Signal Unit Postdoctoral Scholar (Yamamoto Unit)
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
In the Cell Signal Unit at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology, we study intracellular signaling and the mechanisms regulating gene expression in mammals. We explore CCR4-NOT complex-mediated gene regulation, namely transcription, translation, and silencing, utilizing a wide range of methodologies from genetics, molecular and cellular biology, structural biology, pathoanatomical study, and systems biology. Through these studies, we will be able to develop profound insights into how human beings respond to environmental stimuli, and into the causes of disease. As the scope of this research requires a wide range of knowledge and technical expertise, applications from individuals who have experience in the aforementioned methodologies are welcomed.
1. Ph.D. or Ph.D/MD holder
2. Experience in molecular and cellular biological studies
3. Proficiency in spoken and written English.
1. Experience in publication in reputable journals.
2. Knowledge of structural biology.
Term & Working Hours
Full-time, fixed-term appointment for 1 year. The contract may be renewed (initially up to 3 years).
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing (80 % of the rent up to 60,000 JPY/month), and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
1. Curriculum vitae with e-mail address
2. Publication list
3. Brief description of your past work and your research interest and also a short explanation of reasons for applying (less than one page)
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.