OIST Occupational Health and Safety Doctor
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST rapidly is gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
OIST is looking for a Medical Doctor licensed to practice in Japan who would serve as the University’s Occupational Health and Safety Doctor. With the support of the nurse-administrator, the Occupational Health and Safety Doctor will perform all the necessary health checks for the OIST employees and students and ensure that all OIST employees and students are compliant with the OIST health and safety policies and rules. In addition, the Doctor will serve as the OIST clinic doctor and provide health services to the OIST community. Further, the Doctor will oversee Human Subjects Research Ethics at OIST, and teach relevant specialist lectures to PhD and MD/PhD students. If time permits, the Doctor may pursue their own clinical training and research interest. S/he reports to the Dean of Research who is the designated OIST Health and Safety Officer.
- Conduct health screenings and do follow-up, work place review, management of work environment, health education, consultation with Safety and Health Committee, and other occupational doctor’s duties which are provided in the Japanese law (Article 14 and 15 of Ordinance on Industrial Safety and Health).
- Register as a director of the OIST Clinic with the prefectural Health Center and provide basic health care to the OIST community.
- Manage the OIST Stress Check program and conduct follow-up interview.
- Create and revise the school health plan, health consultation, health guidance and other school doctor’s duties which are provided in the Japanese law (Article 22 of Ordinance on School Health), as appropriate.
- Cooperate with the school psychologist to provide treatment of mental health conditions.
- Attend to the relevant OIST committees and providing medical information to other sections and units.
- Serve as the OIST child care facility’s doctor such as conducting health screenings on children (duties which are provided in the guidance of child care at the child care facility).
- Oversee all Human Subjects Research Ethics at OIST and maintain links with other Human Subjects Research Ethics committees in Okinawa.
- Teach Human Subjects Research Ethics and other relevant topics to PhD and MD/PhD students.
- Provide point of contact between OIST and U Ryuku’s Medical School research programmes as necessary.
- Pursue their own research programme relevant to these responsibilities under the guidance of the Dean of Research.
- Japanese Occupational doctor license and work experience as an occupational doctor.
- Work experience with health checkup.
- Ability to perform all responsibilities above in both English and Japanese
- Experience in teaching health care provider(s) and managing a health care team.
- Ability to work well in a team or cooperate well with other sections.
- PC skills (must have experienced with electric charting system)
- Eligible to register as a director of the OIST Clinic with the prefectural Health Center.
- Experience in working or studying abroad.
- Work experience in Okinawan hospital/clinic.
- Work experience in university or cooperation setting.
- Work experience in an outpatient clinic.
- Work experience in a pediatric or emergency section.
- Experience in writing rules, regulations and other documents.
- TOEIC: 800 points or above or, TOEFL(iBT): 88 points or above (for non-English native speaker)
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations based on experiences and qualifications
Annual salary: 6.1 million yen ~ 14.3 million yen (Job class: Manager ~ Senior Manager, A5~6)
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese, including response to requirements for Responsibilities and Qualifications.
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Japanese medical doctor license
- Certificate of Japanese occupational doctor
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.