Occupational Health and Safety Senior Manager
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best brains in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
The Research Support Division (RSD) contributes to research and education by providing excellent common research facilities and research support services for the researchers and students at OIST. Technical sections of RSD provide maintenance of common equipment/facilities, operation training, fair access, consultation on experimental design and choice of methods/instruments, and technical support on data acquisition and analysis. Administrative sections of RSD provide support on grant applications, collaborations, health and safety and other support to research activities.
OIST Research Support Division is looking for a Senior Manager to provide coordinated leadership to Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Section and OIST Health Center to ensure all OIST research and occupational health and safety efforts meet or exceed all Japanese government standards and to minimize health and safety risks throughout the university. Areas of accountability include biosafety, chemical safety, radioisotope safety, fieldwork safety, management of human subject research, industrial safety and health, school health and safety, security export control and adherence to research ethics.
Reporting to the Provost, the Senior Manager will be responsible for ensuring that OIST complies with all Japanese Health and Safety laws, supporting Provost in planning, leading and facilitating the Occupational Health and Safety Committee, planning and implementing safety promotion activities, leading OIST’s safety enhancement month activities and effectively collaborating with key stakeholders to ensure OIST emergency preparedness, response and recovery.
- Ensure OIST compliance with all Japanese Health and Safety laws while implementing international best practices where appropriate
- Lead and manage OHS Section to include: oversight of daily operations, supervision on 6 secion members, management of section budget and HR duties.
- Provide overall oversight and direction to the OIST Health Center Manager and also maintain an efficient coordination between OHS Section and OIST Health Center to improve health check records tracking and reporting and to improve overall university risk management.
- Support the Provost in planning, leading and facilitating the Occupational Health and Safety Committee and ensure implementation of committee recommendations to improve OIST policies, procedures and guidelines relating to occupational health and safety.
- Collaborate closely with the relevant divisions/sections of OIST to implement an emergency preparedness plan and play a key role in emergency response and recovery by providing expert instructions and solutions.
- Plan and implement safety promotion activities including research safety training programs
- Plan and implement OIST’s safety enhancement month activities
- Prepare and submit reports and related documents on occupational health and safety as required by law
- Proven expertise and experience in two or more of the following areas.
Biosafety, chemical safety, radioisotope safety, fieldwork safety, management of human subject research, industrial safety and health, school safety and health, security export control, research ethics
- Comprehensive knowledge of Japanese Industrial Safety and Health Law
- Business-level English, ability to communicate effectively with researchers in English
- PhD in a relevant area or equivalent Health and Safety qualification, such as medical doctor and occupational health doctor
- More than 10 years of relevant work experience including a minimum 5 years of experience in management
- Effective computer skills, ability to carry out daily tasks using MS Office and other enterprise applications
- Working experience in an international research institution/university is desirable
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3 month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations.
Annual salary: 7.7 million ~ 14.3 million yen (Job class: Senior Manager A6)
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).