Division Function/Position summary:
OIST IT Division has a well-developed network infrastructure to support the research activities of OIST, a unique, world-leading university. We are looking for a highly motivated Network Engineer to work as a member of this section to achieve OIST's mission of supporting the activities of researchers and becoming a model for university transformation in Japan through a network infrastructure that incorporates the latest technology.
Working as part of a section under the Manager of Network Connectivity, the successful candidate will be responsible for design, documentation, and implementation of the network platform, as well as maintaining technical resources related to the network infrastructure, and managing the network environment, system structure, and system installations.
Key responsibilities and duties include:
- Analyze business requirements and design networks using the latest technology
- Build, operate and maintain the OIST network system and infrastructure, including logical configuration, physical racking and cabling
- Collaborate with OIST network vendors and partners as needed
- Analyze situations and solve complex problems that require detailed evaluation of a variety of factors, including both IT and non-IT technologies
- Contribute to the design, purchase, installation, and support of network platform including LAN, wireless, WAN, and information communication systems
- Work as part of a section, share knowledge, and collaborate with all OIST stakeholders to support and provide network services
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Minimum 7 years of experience in designing, building, and maintaining information system networks
- CCNP or higher certification
- Ability to understand and deploy campus LAN and data center network functions
- Experience with Cisco Catalyst, Nexus and ASR products
- In-depth understanding and hands-on experience with routing protocols (BGP, OSPF)
- Experience and understanding of key networking technologies (VxLAN, FabricPath, VPC, VLAN, STP, VRF, LACP)
- Experience with security products including Cisco firewalls, VPNs, and understanding of best practices
- Experience with Cisco Access Points and Cisco Wireless Controllers
- Understanding of basic network services (DHCP, DNS, NTP, RADIUS)
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to communicate in English at a business level
- Experience with Fortinet and Juniper switches
- Experience with cloud networking technologies
- Experience with Cisco UCS and ISE platforms
- Knowledge of automation tools such as Ansible
- Administration experience with Linux servers
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 09:00-17:30
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Letter of intent in English or Japanese (both if available)
- Curriculum vitae in English or Japanese (both if available)
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.