The Network Engineer works with latest technologies to meet the evolving needs of our cutting-edge research program. OIST has deployed substantial network infrastructure in order to support our unique and world-leading research activities here at OIST. OIST is seeking a motivated and technically adept Engineer to join the OIST Networks and Connectivity team, ensuring that we deliver the best possible service to support OIST researchers. Come help us build something new, and support OIST to succeed in its mission to serve as a model for change in Universities in Japan.
Working as part of the team, under the direction of the Networks and Connectivity Manager, the incumbent will:
- Ensure the day-to-day operation, reliability, and integrity of the OIST network.
- Deploy, support, and maintain current and future OIST network systems and infrastructure, including both logical configuration and physical racking and cabling
- Support collaboration with the OIST’s ISP’s, network vendors and partners, as required.
- Work on complex problems where analysis of situation requires in-depth evaluation of various technical and non-technical factors
- Create and provide input into the design, purchase, installation, and support of network communications, including LAN/Wireless/MAN/WAN and telecommunications systems
- Work within a team of highly skilled network engineers, sharing knowledge, and engaging with all aspects of OIST to support and provide network services.
- At least 5 years’ experience in the network field.
- Business level Japanese (Native or JLPT N2)
- Business level English preferred but not mandatory
- Experience in installing, racking, and installing of network hardware.
- Experience in network cabling in a campus and data center environment.
- Strong hands on experience and knowledge of Cisco switches, routers and firewalls.
- Minimum of CCNA or equivalent certification is required
- Ability to understand and deploy LAN/MAN/WAN functionality such as cabling systems, hubs, switches, bridges, routers, gateways, terminal servers and communication servers
- Understanding of routing protocols to include BGP , OSPF
- Practical experience and understanding of LAN technologies to include VLANs, STP, bridging, and switching.
- Understanding of security technologies to include firewalls, VPNs, and security best practices
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 09:00-17:30
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 4.5 million ~ 8.4 million yen (Job class: IT Engineer I)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
- Letter of intent in Both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in Both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.