Networks and Connectivity Senior Manager
The Networks and Connectivity Senior Manager works with latest technologies and manages the team, solving problems and meeting the evolving needs that come with our cutting-edge research program. OIST has deployed substantial network infrastructure in order to support our unique and world-leading research activities here at OIST. This position manages a team working across a wide variety of network systems and hardware. OIST is seeking a motivated and technically adept Manager to join the OIST Networks and Connectivity team, ensuring that we deliver the best possible service to support OIST researchers. Come help us build something new, and support OIST to succeed in its mission to serve as a model for change in Universities in Japan.
- Manage the Networks and Connectivity team to ensure the OIST network is stable, scalable and reliable in day-to-day operation
- Manage the architecture, deployment, support and maintenance of current and future OIST network systems and infrastructure, including both logical configuration and physical racking and cabling
- Develop strategy for the evolution and upgrade of OIST Network
- Support collaboration with the OIST primary ISP, SINET, and other networking partners as required
- Work on complex problems, requiring in-depth analysis and evaluation of various technical and non-technical factors
- Develop standards for networking and telecommunications installation and operation, increasing simplicity
- Oversee the purchase, installation, and support of network communications infrastructure, including LAN/Wireless/MAN/WAN and telecommunications systems
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing a team; developing and proposing strategy, setting direction and managing resources.
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills
- Project Management experience
- At least 7 years of experience in the information technology and networking fields
- Experience in designing and implementing network systems
- Strong working knowledge of Juniper or Cisco switches, routers
- Minimum of CCNP, CCDP or equivalent certification
- Extensive and proven experience may be substituted for certification where appropriate
- Ability to understand and deploy LAN/MAN/WAN functionality such as cabling systems, switches and routers.
- Experience in a heterogeneous computing and networking environment
- In-depth understanding of routing protocols to include BGP and OSPF
- In-depth understanding of Data Center switching to include vPC and Nexus
- In-depth understanding of Network technologies to include VLANs, STP, VRF, HSRP, FHRP
- In-depth understanding of security technologies to include firewalls, VPNs, and security best practices
- Understanding or experience of Unified Communications to include CUCM, VCS and voice gateways
- Understanding or experience of Wireless LAN systems
- Fluent Japanese (Native or JLPT N2 minimum)
- Business level English
- Experience in automation languages, ideally Ansible
- Experience with Cumulus or other intent based networking
- Experience with checkpoint firewalls
- Experience in managing campus or data center networks
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
*Competitive, according to skills and experience
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Letter of intent in English or Japanese (both if available)
Curriculum vitae in English or Japanese (both if available)
Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. The personal information you provide will only be used to recruitment selection.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.