The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa, Japan 904-0495
Networks and Connectivity Manager
Division Function/Position summary:
OIST IT Division has a well-developed network infrastructure to support the research activities of OIST, a unique, world-leading university. OIST is a unique organization that designs, builds, manages, and operates all of its own WAN, DCNW, Campus NW, Wireless NW, and Firewall systems, providing an environment where you can improve your skills as a network engineer. We are looking for a highly motivated Network Engineer to work as a member of this section to achieve OIST's mission of supporting the activities of researchers and becoming a model for university transformation in Japan through a network infrastructure that incorporates the latest technology.
Working as part of a section under the Manager of Network Connectivity, the successful candidate will be responsible for design, documentation, and implementation of the network platform, as well as maintaining technical resources related to the network infrastructure, and managing the network environment, system structure, and system installations.
Key responsibilities and duties include:
- Handle day-to-day tasks operating the network environment, including responding to inquiries and trouble shootings from the end-users for integrity and high reliability.
- Install, support, and maintain network devices
- Work together with network providers, vendors, and partners in procurement and troubleshooting.
- Analyze complex problems that require in-depth knowledge and understanding of business impact.
- Support the purchase process of network equipment and services for LAN, WAN, Wi-Fi, and other communication systems.
- Work proactively as a member of a team, share knowledge, and collaborate with stakeholders under the direction of a manager
- Experience in LAN/WLAN network maintenance and troubleshooting
- Experience in handling network incidents and service requests
- Experience in writing and maintaining technical network documentation
- Experience with networking technologies (VLAN, STP, VRF, LACP, ACL)
- Understanding of basic network services (DHCP, DNS, NTP, RADIUS)
- Experience with Cisco Catalyst switches
- Experience with Cisco Access Points and Cisco Wireless Controllers
- Valid CCNA or higher certification
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Business level Japanese (JLPT N2 or above) OR conversational level English (TOEIC score 600 or equivalent certificate)
- Experience with security technologies, including firewalls and VPNs
- Understanding of networking security best practices
- Experience with Fortinet, Juniper and/or Arista switches
- Experience with automation tools such as Ansible
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
Letter of intent in English or Japanese (both if available)
Curriculum vitae in English or Japanese (both if available)
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.