The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Division Function/Position summary:
OIST IT Division has a well-developed network infrastructure to support the research activities of OIST, a unique, world-leading university. We are looking for a highly motivated Network Engineer to work as a member of this section to achieve OIST's mission of supporting the activities of researchers and becoming a model for university transformation in Japan through a network infrastructure that incorporates the latest technology.
The successful candidate will be responsible for design, documentation, and implementation of the network platform, as well as maintaining technical resources related to the network infrastructure, and managing the network environment, system structure, and system installations.
Key responsibilities and duties include:
- Daily operations of the Network pltform
- Respond to requests from users and discuss with related parties as necessary
- Correspondence to phone calls and emails to related parties in English and Japanese
- Logical configuration work, operation and maintenance of Network system
- Construction, operation and management of infrastructure facilities in cooperation with Network vendors and partners in and outside the prefecture
- Contributes to the design, purchase, installation, and support of Network communications, including LAN, wireless, WAN, and information and communications systems
- Network asset management and documentation of specifications and applications
- Work as a member of the section, share knowledge, and work with all stakeholders in OIST to support and deliver network services
- Perform situational analysis that requires detailed evaluation of various elements including not only IT technology but also non-IT technology to solve complex problems
- Have more than 2 years of work experience in the field of information Networks
- Have the ability to maintain good communication with the team in a diverse environment
- Good communication skills in Japanese and English
- Have experience in network troubleshooting
- Have the ability to understand the network construction and maintenance of information system
- Have a CCNA or higher qualification
- Have the ability to understand and maintain the functions of the Datacenter / Campus Network
- Experience with Cisco Catalyst, Nexus, and ASR products
- Familiarity with Cisco WiFi access points and Cisco Wireless Controller
- understand basic networks such as protocols and architectures such as SNMP
- Familiar with network monitoring (Solarwinds), etc., or understand basic networks such as protocols and architectures such as SNMP
- Have the ability to think and act for yourself
- Willingness to work for a long time as an OIST network engineer
- Work experience with Fortinet and Juniper switches
- Experience in managing Linux servers with knowledge of automation tools like Ansible
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
Letter of intent in English or Japanese (both if available)
Curriculum vitae in English or Japanese (both if available)
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.