Nanofabrication Research Support Specialist
The Research Support Division (RSD) contributes to research and education by providing excellent common research facilities and research support services for the researchers and students at OIST. Technical sections of the RSD provide maintenance of common equipment/facilities, operation training, fair access, consultation on experimental design and choice of methods/instruments, and technical support on data acquisition and analysis. Administrative sections of the RSD provide support on grant applications, collaborations, health and safety and other support to research activities.
The Engineering Support Section is one of the technical support sections within the RSD. It provides support for mechanical engineering, nanofabrication and characterization through two teams of technical staff.
The OIST Engineering Support Section is looking for a highly motivated and team-oriented technical specialist to support nanofabrication within the university. The candidates’ principle duties will be to maintain multiple state-the-art nanofabrication tools, and to train and assist OIST researchers in their operation.
- Provides support services related to nanofabrication and sample characterization
- Provides users with appropriate training on the nanofabrication and characterization equipment
- Provides consultations with researchers on nanofabrication and sample characterization
- Fabrication/measurement of samples in support of researchers
- Creation of standard training programs, manuals and protocols on nanofabrication and characterization techniques, for the efficient training and use of the instruments
- Maintenance and cleaning of all relevant equipment and facilities
- Work with equipment vendors on maintenance, development and trouble-shooting issues
- Maintenance of stocks of consumables and chemicals
- Expansion of the coverage of support by introducing the latest technologies and by seeking professional, technical training
- Proactive participation in technical and organizational improvement, collaborating with colleagues and researchers
- Supports the purchase and procurement of equipment based on the needs of researchers, by documenting the specifications of the equipment and by communicating with the manufacturers and vendors, etc.
- Maintenance of excellent records regarding research support, equipment maintenance and safety
- Maintains and expands collaborative relationships with other domestic and international institutes
- Other duties as assigned by the Engineering Support Section Leader
- Masters degree or higher in engineering, physics, materials science, or a closely related field
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working in a nanofabrication facility
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in nanofabrication process development
- Experience in training or mentoring others in nanofabrication techniques
- The candidate should be well trained in at least 3 of the following areas:
- Electron beam lithography
- Optical lithography
- Thin film deposition
- Etching (wet and dry)
- Sample characterization
- Excellent communication skills in English. Ability to communicate in Japanese is desirable but not required
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to adapt to local culture and rapidly changing work environment.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year/2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Discretionary
Standard Working hours: 9:00-17:30
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 4.5M JPY ~
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
HR Recruiting Support Section
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Curriculum vitae in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- "Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. The personal information you provide will only be used to recruitment selection.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.