One of the fundamental roles of the Division of Buildings and Facilities Management is planning and managing the design and construction of new buildings/facilities for OIST in accordance with the framework of OIST’s expansion plans. The Campus Building Section within the Division is responsible for this important task.
The MEP Coordinator will be responsible for assisting new construction, including new buildings, infrastructure, and additions or alterations to the existing facilities of the Institute. Responsibilities of the MEP Coordinator also include coordination with other members of the Division of Buildings and Facilities Management internally; and with the consultants, contractors, government agencies, and other relevant parties externally.
- Participate in review/planning and design process of new facilities and infrastructure by communicating requests/changes to consultant(s) and reviewing presented documents
- Support preparing preliminary construction cost estimate for budgetary purposes by collecting data such as estimated quotes from consultants and previous year comparisons
- Review construction cost estimate of new projects by comparing OIST request and quote details as well as comparing with previous construction results
- Coordination with the local, regional and national government agencies for relevant permits and approvals for the construction projects, including preparation and presentation of necessary documents (receive documents from consultant(s), run through internal approval/seal process, and submit to relevant government agencies)
- Preparation of construction bid documents in coordination with the consultants and other members the Building and Facilities Management Division.
- Participation of preparing periodical report of the construction status of new construction for internal review by relevant parties, and for external review by the government authorities
- Coordination of necessary procedures upon completion of construction, including final inspections and approvals, obtaining occupancy permits, and commissioning process
- Coordination and cooperation with the management and other members of the Division of Buildings and Facilities Management.
- Experience and demonstrated skills in management of construction projects (ex. 5 years or more facility MEP design experience, MEP construction management experience, etc.)
- General knowledge of the process of construction projects from inception to completion of construction
- Knowledgeable in basic Japanese laws and regulations applicable to construction, fire protection, environmental protection, and other regulations that may apply to complete a project in Japan
- BSc/BA or higher degree in Engineering, Architecture, or related filed.
- Native Japanese speaker
- Building Mechanical or Electrical Engineer Similar License in Japan.
- MEP Construction Engineering License
- Experience of working on government projects and handling subsidy budgets.
- Experience of working in Okinawa with local consultants and contractors.
- Good in written and spoken English
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 3.2 million ~ 6.0 million yen (Job class: Administrative II, A2)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
- Letter of intent in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.