Mechanical Engineering Research Support Specialist
The Research Support Division (RSD) contributes to research and education by providing excellent common research facilities and research support services for the researchers and students at OIST. Technical sections of the RSD provide maintenance of common equipment/facilities, operation training, fair access, consultation on experimental design and choice of methods/instruments, and technical support on data acquisition and analysis. Administrative sections of the RSD provide support on grant applications, collaborations, health and safety and other support to research activities.
The Engineering Support Section is one of the technical support sections within the RSD. It provides support for mechanical engineering, nanofabrication and characterization through two teams of technical staff.
The OIST Engineering Support Section seeks a highly motivated Mechanical Engineering Support Specialist who will expand the capabilities of our Mechanical Engineering Team. The principle responsibilities of the position will be to manufacture research related components as requested by OIST researchers, provide training on the usage of machine tools, and maintain the equipment within the OIST machine shop. Additionally, the position is to assist in the management of mechanical support within the section.
- Provides support services related to mechanical engineering
- Engage in the standard work carried out by the Mechanical Engineering Team, including the daily operations of the mechanical engineering center, cleaning, maintenance and troubleshooting of the equipment etc.
- Manufacture research related components and parts as requested by OIST researchers
- Where necessary locate and directly deal with outside vendors for the outsourcing of parts manufacture
- Provide safety and technical usage training to researchers who use machine tools within the users’ corner of the machine shop
- Provide professional consulting and technical assistance to researchers on the design and fabrication of custom parts
- Organization of researchers requests to the OIST machine shop
- Maintenance of stocks of consumables
- Expansion of the coverage of support by introducing the latest technologies and by seeking professional, technical training
- Proactive participation in technical and organizational improvement, collaborating with colleagues and researchers
- Supports the purchase and procurement of equipment based on the needs of researchers, by documenting the specifications of the equipment and by communicating with the manufacturers and vendors, etc.
- Maintenance of excellent records regarding research support, equipment maintenance and safety
- Maintains and expands collaborative relationships with other domestic and international institutes
- Other duties as assigned by the Engineering Support Section Leader
- A minimum of 10 years hands-on experience in producing high-tolerance mechanical parts and assemblies with manual machine tools
- A minimum of 5 years hands-on experience in producing high-tolerance mechanical parts and assemblies with CNC machine tools
- Experience in using CAM software
- Experience in designing custom parts and creating technical and schematic drawings using CAD software.
- Ability to communicate in English. Ability to communicate in Japanese is desirable but not required
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Experience in training or mentoring others in machining techniques
- Experience in managing a machine shop
- Ability to adapt to local culture and rapidly changing work environment.
- Prior experience in welding
- Knowledge of ultra-high vacuum systems
- Knowledge of cryogenic systems
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year/2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Discretionary (Basic working hour 9:00-17:30)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 5,858,000 JPY~
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Curriculum vitae in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.