The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best brains in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
- Engineering support, equipment design, and manufacture of state-of-the-art laboratory and experimental equipment.
- Master the operation of our machine tools, update our user training manuals, safety manual and deliver training to OIST researchers.
- Manage machine shop operation and maintenance of the machine shop.
- Actively participate in the planning and expansion of the OIST machine shop operation and mechanical engineering service.
- In consultation with OIST researchers, create cost estimates, and deliver the articles either by in-house machining or by procuring external services.
- Attend trade shows and conferences to keep abreast of the latest developments in engineering, manufacturing and metrology.
- Earned a Master’s degree in mechanical engineering, materials, cryogenic/vacuum and precision machining.
- The candidate must be proficient in at least one of the following areas:
- NC machine tools operation and manual machine tools operation.
- Mechanical design and analysis.
- Cryogenics and vacuum instruments design and manufacturing.
- The candidate must be able to carry out all daily business in English.
- Ability to adapt to local culture and rapidly changing work environment.
- Experience in working as a group leader.
- Prior work experience outside Japan will be beneficial.
- Experience in teaching and/or mentoring is highly desirable.
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 5.5 million yen ~ 8.6 million yen (Job class: Specialist I, A4)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
Cover letter and resume in English
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Recruiting Team, HR Management Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).