Marine Biophysics Unit / Postdoctoral Researcher in Coral Reef Dynamics (Mitarai Unit)
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Marine Biophysics Unit (MBU) of the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) seeks postdoctoral researchers in Coral Reef Dynamics. In collaboration with domestic and international partners, OIST MBU aims to develop a fundamental understanding of the drivers of reef-scale biophysical processes and the intrinsic links to offshore processes including potential large-scale and long-term forcings arising from global environmental change.
The successful candidate will combine observations with numerical modeling to produce a description of the physical functioning of Okinawan and other coral reefs, i.e., what flows are produced by offshore currents, meteorological forcing, surface waves, tides, density gradients produced by evaporation, cooling and heating, and by winds.
Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Oceanography or a related field and demonstrated ability in publishing results in peer-reviewed journals. Desirable qualifications include experience in ocean modeling, and a willingness to support students and other team members.
Term & Working Hours
Term: appointment will initially be for two years, renewable depending on performance (maximum 5 years).
Working hours: discretionary
Compensation & Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience, in accordance with OIST Employee Compensation Regulations.
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
All required application materials should be submitted by email to:
(replace # with @ before using this email address).
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter stating research interests and experience
- Contact information for three references
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.