Manager/Senior Manager for Academic Development
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Office of the Dean for Faculty Affairs supports the expansion and development of Faculty at OIST. As part of its aim to recruit and maintain an internationally renowned research and educational staff profile, we are recruiting a Manager in academic development whose role will be to develop recruiting and evaluation of world-class scientists (faculty as well as researchers), develop the tools to advance them in their roles as researchers, teachers, and managers in the University. Such a role will involve integration with the Office of the Dean of Research, the Gender Equality and Human Resources Division, the Office of the Dean of Graduate School, and the Technology Development and Innovation Center, all of whom have an interest in the development of the research and academic staff at OIST. The Manager for Academic Development will serve as Deputy to the Dean of Faculty Affairs and play the role of chief administrator for the Office of Dean of Faculty Affairs.
- Develop and/or update and implement a transparent system for academic assessment and performance management, including rewards for academic achievement, and resolution of disputes.
- Assist with recruitment and evaluation of faculty by providing personnel in these areas with management and oversight while also working along with them as necessary.
- Deputize for the Dean in supervising the functions of the Office of Dean of Faculty Affairs.
- Ensure that the necessary training and learning opportunities are provided for professional development of the Faculty and Research Unit personnel.
- Assist in the development of a strategic staffing and personnel budget plan to meet the future needs of Research Units; implement approvals and interactions with the units in coordination with other FAO staff.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business, Law, Organization Development, or other fields relevant to academic human resources management
- Experience and proven ability to operate in an academic setting
- At least ten years of experience in the administration of scientists and researchers and / or in human resources management processes
- Experience working in an international organization that employs people from around the globe
- Experience with the academic tenure system that is commonly practiced at major research universities in Europe and the US
- Supervisory experience
- Demonstrated commitment to building a diverse and inclusive organization
- Outstanding interpersonal relationship building skills
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 6.1 million ~ 14.3 million yen (Job class: Manager, A5-A6)
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in English
- Curriculum vitae in English
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.