The Research Support Division (RSD) contributes to research and education by providing excellent common research facilities and research support services for the researchers and students at OIST. Technical sections of RSD provide maintenance of common equipment/facilities, operation training, fair access, consultation on experimental design and choice of methods/instruments, and technical support on data acquisition and analysis. Administrative sections of RSD provide support on grant applications, collaborations, health and safety and other support to research activities.
The Mechanical Engineering and Microfabrication Support Section is one of the technical support sections within the RSD and comprised of the Mechanical Engineer Team and the Microfabrication Support Team. The section provides support for mechanical engineering, and microfabrication and characterization through two teams of technical staff.
The OIST Mechanical Engineering and Microfabrication Support Section seeks a highly motivated experienced machinist to expand the capabilities of the Mechanical Engineering Team. The principle responsibilities of the position will be to manufacture research related components as requested by OIST researchers, give researchers basic training on the usage of machine tools, and maintain the equipment within the OIST mechanical engineering center.
- Engage in the standard work carried out by the Mechanical Engineering Team, including the daily operations of the mechanical engineering center, maintenance and troubleshooting of the equipment etc.
- Operate machine tools to manufacture research related components and parts as requested by OIST researchers.
- Where necessary locate and directly deal with outside vendors for the purchase of equipment, or the outsourcing of parts manufacture.
- Provide safety and technical usage training to researchers who use machine tools within the users corner of the mechanical engineering center.
- Provide professional consulting and technical assistance to researchers on the design and fabrication of custom parts.
- Attend trade shows and conferences to compile information on the latest technologies.
- Experience in producing high-tolerance mechanical parts and assemblies with manual machine tools and CNC tools.
- Experience in reading and creating technical/schematic drawings using CAD software.
- The candidate must be able to carry out all daily business in Japanese or English.
- Ability to adapt to local culture and rapidly changing work environment.
- Prior experience in training/mentoring users in the use of machine tools
- Prior experience in research/education related work
- Ability to speak English
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 4.5 million ~ 8.4 million yen (Job class: Research Support Specialist, RS2)
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Curriculum vitae in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 2-3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.