Library Staff (Acquisition & Institutional Repository)
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
In addition to textbooks and reference books used in classes, our Library collects and provides many electronic contents to its users. Staff in this position will also be responsible for receiving books and subscriptions to electronic journals and managing property books. We also actively disseminate our research results through the OIST Institute Repository (IR). For this reason, library staff follow the guidelines for copyright processing, obtain the accepted manuscripts from researchers, and check bibliographic information before registering. In addition, we will also provide user support for counter operations and software and repository seminars to users. We also encourage staff to participate in library-related workshops and training, so we would like to recruit a person who wants a long career in the library.
The Library Staff (Acquisition & Institutional Repository) tasks include but are not limited to the following.
- Input/order/settlement works related to purchasing including books, journals, databases and system updates.
- Register books in the Library systems
- Manage textbooks and asset books
- Deposit research outcomes in the repository software
- E-mail communication with researchers for copyright permission or obtaining the final manuscript from them
- Support users for depositing research outcomes in the Institutional Repository and Open Access issues
- Help resolve online service, systems, and software problems following the library policies, rules, and procedures
- Respond to inquiries to the Library2.
- Work on Library’s webpages
- Support seminars and orientations
- Provide data for statistics
- Assist users at the Library counter
- Other miscellaneous duties assigned
- Experience at the university libraries
- Knowledge of bibliography or cataloging
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English and Japanese.
- Computer skills and proficiency in MS Office and document management software
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and work well under pressure
- Ability to be responsive and flexible to adjust to a changing work environment
- Ability to understand business etiquette and interact with patrons
- Library Information Science degree
- Japanese’s Librarian Certificate (Sisho)
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese (if available)
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese (if available)
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.